Edible Gardens Witney.
Meetings are on the second Monday of each month.
10.00am – 11.30am
We meet in the coffee bar of the Methodist Church, High St. Witney, then move to the raised beds on Welch Way where we weed, plant, tend to the veg., or do a ‘pop-up’ workshop. Come and join us.
Attending: Brenda Woods, Christine Goh, Rae Cather, Jane Bate, Maggie Collins, Sheila Peterson, Jill Dean
• New Member: Sheila Peterson was welcomed. She had enquired about the group when she saw people working on the raised beds in Witney centre.
• Bark mulch: 2 – 4” depth used at Radcot House gardens around plants which are in danger of being damaged by slugs eg hostas, lupins etc. Slugs don’t like climbing up through it. Can be obtained from Hilltop Garden Centre – ‘’Westland composted bark’’
• Sequestered Iron for Lupins: Lupins enjoy an acid soil. They benefit from ericaceous feed and sequestered iron.
• Tree Peony Seeds: Tree Peony seeds were available for people. They looked nearly black, were very hard and were approximately the size of a rosehip.
• Achievements for 2016:
• Growing and harvesting Quinoa. Showing people such an unusual plant can be grown here and what it looked like.
• Showing passers-by fruit and vegetables growing. Being happy to chat and answer questions about growing fruit and veg generally.
• To do in raised beds now:
• Tidy beds. Dead head pansies etc.
• Dig out angelica and rhubarb (which has not prospered)
• Offer Water Lily and Pulmonaria plants for a donation.
• To do in our gardens:
• Manure and cover with black plastic – the worms will take it down, the black plastic will stop the rain washing out the nutrients and the plastic will warm up the soil in spring ready for spud planting. Otherwise leave till Feb/March –
• Collect leaves and store in bags with holes for leaf mould.
• Tidy strawberries.
• Plant garlic, aquadulce broad beans, early peas, early onions and shallots. You may wish to plant early onions, shallots, and broad beans in containers to germinate then plant in soil later. This avoids damage from mice, birds and other wee beasties!
• Meet again 9th January 2017 for festive lunch:
• ACTION Jane to investigate if we can meet at the Oasis café. Otherwise we may meet at Rae’s house.
• Next meeting at Methodist Café 13 Feb 2017
HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!